Call Free Phone: 0800 999 6650 Office: 01525 371 355 Mobile: 07986 986 153
TH Removals

All posts in House Removals Insurance

Is your new home insured ?

Categories: House Removals Insurance, Latest
Comments Off on Is your new home insured ?

Is your new home insured ?


The moving process can be long, drawn out and extremely stressful. In your battle to keep on top of things there’s a good chance that you’ll overlook one very important thing: Insurance. Few buyers realise that it becomes their responsibility to insure a property from the second that contracts are exchanged – not when they get the keys to the property on the day that they move in.


Whilst the likelihood of your house burning down or dropping off the face of the earth is slim at best, there’s always a chance that it could happen. Therefore, it’s important to ensure your new property is covered from the word go.



 Check your contents insurance policy carefully


Buildings and contents insurance are often issued on joint policies. The problem is that when purchasing a new house your buildings insurance should be switched to the new property when contracts are exchanged – but your contents insurance cover shouldn’t be shifted until you actually move house. Therefore you should pay a great deal of attention to your contents insurance policy both before, after and during the move. It’s especially important to find out whether or not your contents are covered during the move process itself, and if so, who by.


Sometimes you’ll find that your possessions are actually insured via your own contents insurance policy. Some policies (not all) have a clause in there that covers “items in transit”. Don’t just assume your policy has this clause in it – look through the policy wording or call the insurance company to get confirmation. If your policy doesn’t feature this clause, you’ll need to hire a removal company that insures your contents for you whilst they’re being moved.


Is your removal company insured ?


Aside from building insurance, you should also consider the removal company you’re using. Are they insured? If so, for what sum? It’s really important that the company you use to move your belongings are insured – if anything goes missing or gets broken you can then claim for the cost of it. It’s not just your goods that need to be insured either, the employees from the removal firm need to be ensured too. If they cause damage to your property or become injured whilst working on your house move, they can then make any claims from their employer.


Finding out whether or not your removals company is insured or not is really easy. Just pick up the phone and call them! You should try and get it in writing too when they present you with a written quote, or when they issue an invoice to you.


Whilst we can’t help with building insurance, we can assure you that here at TH Removals our fleet of vehicles is fully insured with public liability insurance cover of up to £1 million. All of your belongings and possessions are fully insured to £15,000 per load.

When you use us for your house move. We offer our services to those living throughout the St Albans and Watford areas, so what are you waiting for? Pick up the phone and talk to us today to see how we can help you !

Call Now Button